Sunday, May 6, 2012

Ruffle Ruffle Ruffle

Hello again blogging community. Yeah I'm still alive and so is the family. I really stink at this blogger thing but I have a goal to get going on it and stop dilly daddling. It's not like I'm up to nothing here in Boston and Mason doesn't do anything ridiculously cute every day. So here's to a new start! Cheers! Lately I'm obsessed with sewing and I want to make so many things it's ridiculous. It doesn't help being on Pinterest constantly looking at fun new projects to do and thinking, "OH YEAH THAT LOOKS EASY, I COULD TOTALLY DO THAT".What was I thinking!? Don't ever tell yourself that, especially if you have NO IDEA what the crap your doing. I pretty much fudge my way through all projects and some how they turn out. My totally awesome neighbor Lydia(who one day will have her very own post cause shes that awesome)basically threw her sewing machine at me and said here use it as much as you want! Really she was just sick of storing it at her house. I was pretty excited to start this new adventure of sewing after all I was a total expert(in my mind). My first project was to make these really cute ruffle curtains. I thought how hard could this be. Cut out panels, hem some edges, ruffle some panels, and sew it on to the main panel. Easy Peasy! STUPID! More like iron a ton of fabric, cut out 100 gazillion panels, try and figure out how to ruffle then ruffle those 100 gazillion panels, MEASURE AND MARK, then sew them all on. Not cool. I found this fantastic little presser foot for the sewing machine that does all the ruffling, pleating, attaches and ruffles at the4 same time, and you can adjust the depth and size of the ruffle. This was a genius thing I found. Here it is. A more apropriate name I feel is, The Beast.
It is one crazy contraption! A little intimidating at first but once you get it figured out you want to ruffle                EVERYTHING!

Back to the curtains. I used twin size flat sheets from Wal-Mart in white and grey. This is what really slowed my process up. They never had enough in stock! Ever. Everytime we went to a Wal-Mart that was the first thing I checked for was those blasted sheets. Of  course I could get every color except white. It was like the whole world was making ruffle curtains or something.  I finally was able to get enough to finish them. 
 I was determined to finally get these dang things done tonight!
 And here they are!!

I really like them a lot! I wanted to not finish this project soooooo many times but I had to finish it or Lance would never let it go if I ever wanted to start another project. Lance said to me I still wish there was 2 panels on each window. NO WAY! I have 2 windows to cover in my room no way in heck am I making 4 of these panels! Now I just have to start and finish the other panel :(

As far as other projects go, isn't this cute!? Lance and I made these floating shelves and painted them bright yellow. But it's a good yellow not an obnoxious yellow. Were working on decorating and finishing up the bedroom. A little at a time. One day I will have it all completed then I will do a little blog on it. Then watch we will have to move as soon as I get it all cute!


3 comments:

Jill said...

Cute Dani! Anyone who sews anything has my complete admiration. The sewing machine scares me!

BTW, I'm glad you're okay after all that hospital nonsense! I was worried!

Kimberly said...

Soooo cute, Dani! I'm totally impressed. I haven't done anything with my sewing machine in over a year, but you just inspired me to get it out, dust it off, and make something!

Cami said...

I like those curtains. I'm going to have to come see them in person. And I love what you did with that little yellow shelf! Very clever.